Monday 14 December 2020

Winter Blessings and Beauties, Day 43: Warming Winter Breakfasts


I love breakfast - I often say that if I could only have one meal a day I would choose breakfast! This morning, as I wasn't working I made myself a warming breakfast of porridge with golden syrup, a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice, and hazelnut coffee. It was a perfect start to a cold Winter day. It started me thinking about hot breakfasts and how they are among my favourite Winter pleasures.

One of the things I love about breakfast is its versatility - you can eat sweet things, savoury things, or a combination of both. You can have hot breakfasts, cold breakfasts, cooked breakfasts, cereals, toast, pastries, fruit smoothies, eggs, pancakes... 

Although I love breakfast I'm not especially keen on a full cooked breakfast - bacon, eggs, sausages, fried bread etc. The only times I eat that kind of breakfast is when I'm camping - or for lunch. It always makes me feel like a bit of a weirdo when  staying in a hotel or a B&B because I'm usually the only person who doesn't ask for a full cooked breakfast! It's most people's favourite kind of breakfast (although as it's a bit time-consuming to prepare in the morning it's usually reserved for weekends and holidays). But there's no denying that it's a great, warming start to the day in winter.

My personal choice is usually cereal of some kind, and as well as porridge there are other cereals that can be consumed with hot milk in Winter, such as Weetabix or Ready Brek. You can ring the changes by adding berries or dried fruit and nuts, sweeten if necessary with honey, maple or golden syrup, and add a little luxury with some cream. Or how about hot buttered toast with honey or marmalade, or croissants or pain au chocolat straight from the oven all deliciously hot and flaky? Then there are pancakes or banana pancakes, omelettes and boiled eggs. Another of my favourite warming breakfasts is apple and sultana compote, served hot with a swirl of Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of granola for crunch and an extra pinch of cinnamon for good measure.

For breakfast drinks - tea, coffee, juice, herbal tea, chai, hot chocolate?

Winter Blessings and Beauties: Day 43

Warming Winter Breakfasts

Set yourself up for the day by having breakfast each morning. Your body needs to be properly re-fuelled after a night's sleep. Make a list of warming Winter breakfasts that you enjoy, and use it for inspiration on those grey mornings when you're not quite sure what it is you fancy. Try different breakfast recipes to widen your repertoire and keep things interesting.

As you eat, think about how you are nourishing yourself and taking care of your body, and give thanks to the Earth for providing delicious food.       

No comments: