Thursday 5 November 2020

Winter Blessings and Beauties, Day 5: Recipe - Apple and Sultana Compote





Apples are a wonderful winter fruit. Depending on the variety and how they have been stored, apples can last right through the darkest of winter days and into the spring. I have been really enjoying the apple harvest this year. A friend gifted me with some delicious windfalls and the wonderful local zero-waste shop - where I have been doing the bulk of our food shopping since Covid-19 struck - has had some interesting apple varieties in during the autumn that in all honesty I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to try if I was still frequenting the supermarket. 

Not only have I been eating fresh apples, I've also been trying different recipes. I made some delicious apple, blackberry and sloe jelly last month, and I also stewed up plenty of apples with blackberries while the brambles were producing prolifically. These have been put in the freezer to enjoy later in the year. But at the moment my favourite way to enjoy apples is for breakfast - apple and sultana compote served with a dollop of thick, creamy Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of granola to add a bit of crunch. It's so delicious I think you could serve it as a dessert!

This is my compote recipe if you'd like to give it a try.

Winter Blessings and Beauties: Day 5

Apple and Sultana Compote
Ingredients
3-4 Cooking Apples, such as Bramley
A generous handful of sultanas
A knob of butter
Water
Sugar
Ground cinnamon
Zest of a lemon

Method
Peel and core the apples and chop into smallish pieces. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat and add the apples. Add a little water to stop the apples sticking and simmer over a low heat, stirring regularly. Add a good shake of ground cinnamon, the sultanas and the finely grated zest of a lemon. The compote is ready when the apples have broken down into a soft purée. Remove from the heat and taste - add sugar if required to your taste. 

I keep the Apple Compote in the fridge where it will last for several days (unless I eat it all first!). My favourite way to eat it is with Greek yogurt and granola, but you could also make a classic crumble, sponge or cobbler topping for it and enjoy it with custard or cream.

 

No comments: