Sunday 8 November 2020

Winter Blessings and Beauties, Day 7: Escape Into A Good Book


One of the delicious things about winter is the way the long, dark evenings give you the perfect excuse to completely lose yourself in a good book. I don't know about you, but I can get so immersed in a book that 
I become completely unaware of my surroundings. Which may not be a good thing - luckily the house has never caught fire when I've been reading!


In recent years I've been enchanted to learn of the Icelandic tradition of Jólabókaflóðið, which translates roughly as 'Christmas Book Flood'. The story goes that in Iceland during World War II, paper was one of the few materials not rationed and as a result it became customary to give books as gifts for Christmas. In Iceland, gifts are exchanged on Christmas Eve and people usually spend the rest of the day reading their new books and drinking hot chocolate. Doesn't that sound like sheer heaven! I definitely think this is a tradition that should be more widely adopted. In fact - why wait until Christmas Eve? Let's start cosying up in the evenings with a good book and a large, indulgent mug of hot chocolate.


While we're at it, let's all support our small, local independent bookshops. This is my nearest independent bookshop, and the good news is that it - and many others across the UK - are banding together to sell online so that they can compete on a more level playing field with giant corporations like Amazon. Let's face it, Jeff Bezos is already the richest man on the planet, he doesn't need any more of my money. But my small, local bookseller does. So from now on, that's where I'll be buying my books (there or the local charity shops). If you'd like to follow suit, start here.  


If you need any suggestions to get you started, may I recommend these?

  • Ben Aaronovitch's 'Rivers of London' series (beginning with 'Rivers of London')
  • 'The Lost Words' by Jackie Morris and Robert Macfarlane
  • 'Braiding Sweetgrass' by Robin Wall Kimmerer
  • 'The Young Visiters' by Daisy Ashford - still the funniest book I know!
  • Phil Rickman's 'Merrily Watkins' series of supernatural thrillers, which starts with 'The Wine of Angels'.
  • 'Witch Light' by Susan Fletcher
  • 'The Fifth Sacred Thing' by Starhawk
  • 'Dark Matter' by Michelle Paver is an incredibly creepy ghost story if you fancy something chilling!
  • 'If Women Rose Rooted' by Sharon Blackie

Winter Blessings and Beauties: Day 7
Escape into a Good Book

Escape into the pages of an old favourite or choose a brand new book to explore. Find yourself a cosy corner where you can curl up in comfort with your book and a big mug of your favourite hot drink. Maybe light a scented candle, put on some soft music, snuggle under a throw... enjoy this special me-time and the opportunity to travel to infinite worlds from the comfort of your armchair. If it's cold and gloomy outside, so much the better!

1 comment:

Elderberry-Rob said...

Lots of book suggestions there, I am really enjoying my current library book (Yorkshire Shepherdess) and love these cosy nights where it darkens early and I can curl up with book and cat.