Wednesday 25 November 2020

Winter Blessings and Beauties, Day 24: Winter Restorative, Nest Therapy



The essence of winter is a period of rest and renewal for the earth. It's a time of repose, a break from the buzz and bustle of life, breathing space in the seasonal cycle of germination, growth and harvest. 


For humans, adequate rest and sleep is required to recharge our batteries, allowing our brains time to reorganise, consolidate and process the events of our waking lives, and our bodies to repair, rejuvenate and rebuild themselves at a cellular level. Our requirements for rest can fluctuate depending on such variables as age, levels of activity and health. 


So, do you get as much rest as you need? I know I don't always manage to get enough hours of sleep, and at times I let myself get completely overcommitted and stretched too thin. If I'm just a little overtired from lack of sleep, I can usually get back onto an even keel quite easily by taking a nap or going to bed early. But on the occasions when I've been pushing myself too hard for weeks or even months at a time, a few early nights aren't really going to be enough. Ideally at those times I'd like to take a holiday or go on retreat - but that's not always possible. It's for such times that I invented what I call 'nest therapy'. 


I indulge in nest therapy when I'm feeling completely drained physically and/or mentally. The first day that I have to myself is nesting day! I find a quiet, secluded spot in the house or (in summer) the garden. I use every duvet, cushion, pillow, quilt, blanket and throw in the house to build a soft, cushiony nest that I can curl into. I retreat into my nest with comforting things such as a flask of hot tea (or icy lemonade in the summer), a good book or a colouring book and pens (if I'm not too tired to want entertainment), some snacks, a cat or two... and I just rest. I eat, drink and drift in and out of sleep according to what my body tells me it needs. I completely avoid all thought of 'should' or 'ought' and focus on self-nurturing and rest. I prefer to avoid electronic forms of entertainment like radio, TV or internet during my nest therapy, listening instead to the rain on the roof or birdsong and letting my thoughts just drift.


I've enjoyed nest therapy in dappled sunlight under a silver birch tree in the summer, alternately dozing and listening to bees buzzing in the clovered lawn and the soft murmuring of the chickens. I've enjoyed nest therapy in the depths of winter, curled snugly under blankets and nest-sharing with a purring cat. Dozing, dreaming, feeling the knots in my shoulders dissolving and the fog of exhaustion gradually lifting. It's not something I do very often, saving it for those times when I need more than just an early night. But on every occasion, it has been deeply restful and restorative. 


Winter Blessings and Beauties: Day 24

Winter Restorative: Nest Therapy

At those times when you're in need of some serious rest and relaxation, try a day of nest therapy. 

Set aside a day - or at least a few hours -  all to yourself. Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothes. Put down a cushiony layer of pillows etc on which you can lie - or you could use an airbed. Drape quilts, blankets and duvets around the edges to keep you feeling safe and secure. Bring those things you need to help you feel comfortable, safe, entertained etc - such as books, snacks, a water bottle or flask, your journal, a favourite stuffed animal - and place them in your nest or within easy reach. Turn off your phone if you are able to. Get into your nest and make yourself comfortable. Relax - you've earned a rest!

     

No comments: