Wednesday 18 November 2020

Winter Blessings and Beauties, Day 18: A Murmuration of Starlings


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakKfY5aHmY

For me, catching sight of a murmuration of starlings is truly one of the highlights of the winter season. Just as I eagerly await my first glimpse of snowdrops in spring, swallows in summer, and the bright colours of autumn foliage, so I look forward to the amazing aerial displays of starlings in winter. So far this year I have only seen small groups of the birds flying over us here at Halfway Up A Hill on their way to roost, but I'm looking forward to my first sight of a proper murmuration soon. I vividly remember my first encounter with this awe-inspiring phenomenon, in fact I wrote about it here on the blog

Another time, a huge flock of starlings descended on a field across the valley, so many that they turned the green grass of the hillside to black. As I watched in fascination, I spotted an enterprising fox prowling along the line of the hedge, keeping low to the ground - obviously in hope of snatching an unwary bird from the edge of the flock. Just as he drew close enough to pounce, the entire mass of birds lifted off, just a foot or two from the ground, swirled briefly in the air like a huge dust-cloud and resettled. It looked exactly like the shrug of a gigantic amorphous beast - and the fox obviously thought so too as he turned tail and fled. Clearly, the swirling undulations of a murmuration serve a useful purpose, by confusing and unsettling potential predators. But they are also a virtuoso performance of collaborative power and beauty, a magical, spellbinding sight which seems to defy logic. 

Winter Blessings and Beauties: Day 18

Watch a Murmuration of Starlings

Try to find out if there is an area near you where it is possible to watch the starlings gather as they prepare for their evening roost. Some areas  - such as the Somerset Levels, or the piers at Brighton or Aberystwyth are well known for the huge murmurations that gather there. Do a bit of local research to find out where you are most likely to see them in your area. 

If you are lucky enough to see them, appreciate the magic. It is a true winter blessing!   


2 comments:

Luiz Gomes said...

Hi good night. All right? I want to present my Blogger on culture, travel and tourism. I would like to invite you to follow my Blogger. I'm the follower number 157.

https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/2020/11/oi-futuro-parte-i-rio-de-janeiro-rj.html?m=1

wunjo312 said...

I've only just stumbled upon this blog of yours.. and it brought tears to my eyes remembering watching the sacred dance of these birds when I was young.
I had little respect for starlings in those days, thinking them unpleasant birds with their incessant chatter and the mess beneath their roosts. I'm ashamed of my ignorance now.
In London they are in such low numbers I cannot recall the last time I saw this swirl of synchronised grace and energy away from a screen.
Thank you for sharing this moment.