Tuesday 12 January 2021

Winter Blessings and Beauties, Day 72: Marking the Midpoint Between Yule and Imbolc




Today we find ourselves at the midpoint between Yule and Imbolc. If Yule is the deepest, darkest period of Winter it seems unbelievable to me that we are already halfway to Imbolc and the beginning of Spring. Purely coincidentally, the period of bitterly cold, icy weather that we've been experiencing for the last couple of weeks has today given way to a thaw. 


Winter Blessings and Beauties: Day 72

Mark the Midpoint Between Yule and Imbolc

At the midpoint between Yule and Imbolc, take time to pause and sense the shifting energies. Yule is the deep heart of Winter, the hinge of the solar year. We're now moving from the dark still point of Yule towards the growing light of Imbolc and the first stirrings of Spring. Can you sense the pulse of the Earth fluttering back towards wakefulness? How has the light changed? The scents on the wind? Is there a change in the birdsong or the colours in the landscape? How does your body react to the lengthening days?

Take a moment to recognise and give thanks for the patterns of the ever changing year. Take in a good breath of fresh Winter air. The days of Winter will soon be dwindling away along with all their Blessings and Beauties, making way for the debut of Spring. Why not raise a mug of hot chocolate to toast the wonderful Winter while you still can? 


2 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

It is still cold here, and we have had some cloudy days that the sky stays solid gray all day, until it is night. We had three cloudy days in a row and then one so bright with sun my spirits lifted high, I was energized. Yesterday before the sun was over the horizon, a mourning dove was calling and calling. At first I thought I was hearing an owl, I opened the door and I could see the dove silhouetted against the slight brightening of the sky. It seems early in the season to hear a dove calling.

Elderberry-Rob said...

On my walks this week I saw a glimmer of hope that Spring will be with us soon - the fresh green of 'lords and ladies' leaves with just a little bit of unfurling, then a big swathe of the green that tells me there will be a patch of bluebells right there in that barren part of the woods I was walking in, I have to wait just a few months to be walking through that sea of blue, the swelling on the ends of branches, an unexpected overhang of catkins - and in my own garden, some little narcissus bulbs just breaking the soil surface.