Monday 11 January 2021

Winter Blessings and Beauties, Day 71: Marmalade Season

 


Seville oranges appear in the shops for a few short weeks starting in January, and that means it's marmalade season! Marmalade can be made from any of the citrus fruits, but the bitter Seville orange is the classic ingredient. 

I first became a fan of marmalade many years ago when I worked as a children's nanny. I found a slice of toast and marmalade was a far more 'portable' breakfast than a bowl of cereal - one that I could eat standing, sitting or running after my small charges! Since then I have found other ways to enjoy it - I particularly like it spread on slices of toasted brioche, where the bittersweet citrus of the marmalade contrasts beautifully with the slightly caramelised sweetness of the toasted brioche. Or I use it to add a twist to bread and butter pudding by spreading the slices of bread and butter with marmalade before assembling the dish. It also makes a fine ingredient for marinades and glazes for meat or vegetarian proteins like tofu or Quorn. Or how about a marmalade cake? Paddington would be proud of me. 

Winter Blessings and Beauties: Day 71

Marmalade Season

If you are able to find Seville oranges, make yourself some marmalade. Home made marmalade is a revelation if you are only used to the store-bought kind! If you can't find Sevilles, you can use sweet oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, clementines... or a combination. There are lots of recipes both for making marmalade and using it here, if you need some inspiration. Enjoy!


No comments: