Friday 11 June 2010

Real Gold

My Mum's wedding bouquet was yellow roses and mauve freesias. She still loves these flowers today.



Today my parents celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary, 50 years together.

This afternoon, they will re-take their vows, with my Uncle Jack, who married them way back in 1960 reprising his role as officiant. Tomorrow we will throw a big party for them. Fifty years of happy marriage is worth celebrating!


Last night we watched some old home movies of their wedding and the early years of their marriage: the building of the home I and my siblings grew up in, family holidays, birthday parties and trips to the zoo. It was strange watching these old films, which I probably last saw as a teenager. This time, I saw them through new eyes. Looking back now that I am in my forties I could see my parents for the first time as a young couple, starting out in life, building their life and family together. I realised how hard it must have been for them sometimes with three small children, only my Dad working, money in short supply, literally building a house brick by brick themselves and turning it into a happy home. But I also know how lucky I am to come from a close-knit, loving family. That is worth more than gold!



So - golden years, leading to a Golden Anniversary today. Happy Anniversary, Mum and Dad. And may there be many more!









2 comments:

Lyn said...

Many Congratulations to them.How lovely to reach this milestone together.
Have a jolly party!
Love
Lyn
xxx

Zahara Celestial said...

Wonderful positive inspiration...Have a as Lyn said a 'jolly party'! I am sure you will. When your family get together there is so much laughter and love :o) XXXXX