Sunday 14 December 2008

I Live in a Beautiful Place

Last night as I drove down dark country lanes on my way home from a planning meeting for next week's Winter Solstice ritual, the moon rose, huge, yellow, serene. So beautiful I had to sing to Her as I drove.



This morning, the land was again white with frost and gold with early sunlight. Every surface was edged with tiny twinkling ice crystals. The sky was blue, with clouds as soft and white as angel wings.


I live in a beautiful place. When we first moved here, I wondered if I would become immune to the beautiful views, if familiarity would breed if not contempt then perhaps indifference. But that has not happened at all. I am still often halted in my tracks by the beauty that surrounds me here, Halfway up a Hill.

Yet the moon would be just as beautiful viewed from an inner city window, the frost just as magical. Even the most uninspiring ingredients such as motor oil and a muddy puddle can combine to produce glorious swirling rainbows.


I live in a beautiful place - but then again, we all do.


6 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

how true!
i was sad to leave the remoteness of dorset and its beauty but although our village is not as remote it is as beautiful and the new forest's beauty is in its utter wildness...i have never tired of its beauty and never will

Sunny said...

your place is beautiful, indeed

Leanne said...

good post moonroot, and fab photos. i was sad to leave my beautiful somerset, but its beautiful here too,in my small country town. i just have to walk a little while to be out in the fields again, but i am so lucky to be that close really, people in cities dont have that blessing.

and nature is everywhere, you just have to be tuned to her to see it, whether in city or wild place

leanne x

Anonymous said...

You do live in a beautiful place. And so do I. Have I told you lately how much I love your pictures?

Reya Mellicker said...

Gorgeous new banner. Beautiful photos and yes, you do live in an exceptionally beautiful place.

Your next home, too, will be gorgeous, I know it.

Sending love ...

Oh yeah that MOON was incredible, wasn't it?

Erik said...

I spent a day traveling through southern Wales in 1999, from Cardiff up through the hills to Hay-on-Wye, and I fell in love with her; I think that day and place were my favorite of the whole two weeks vacation. You have taken some really lovely pictures of her - thank you for sharing your home with us, and bringing back some wonderful memories!