Sunday 3 February 2008

Happy Birthday to Moonroot!

It is exactly a year since I started this blog. Back then I wrote:

"I took a stroll down the hill to look at my bees, and they were out in force enjoying the balmy weather. There's really not that much bee fodder available this early, even though it has been an extraordinarily mild winter, so I was relieved to see them making full use of the gorse blossom near their hive. The snowdrops haven't yet opened, but there are daffodils in the bottom of the hedge that are nearly out, and on the way back to the house I found a clump of crocuses opening wide smiling faces to the sun. "


Just a few days after that we had inches of snow and ice!


This year I can report that the weather is cold, wet and stormy. The bees are very sensibly staying home and feeding themselves on their honey stores. But the crocuses are out (though staying tightly furled against the elements) and the snowdrops and daffodils will soon be joining them. Hopefully cold, wet weather at Imbolc/Groundhog day means (if groundhogs know about these things in Wales) that real spring is not too far around the corner.


My first ever blog post was about the weather, because I didn't really know what else to write. I just knew I wanted to get started writing! Since then I have written about my day to day life, as well as pondering such diverse topics as gratitude, ageing, elderflowers, peace, community, infertility, history and magic. Blogging has been a great way to stay in touch with friends, family and loved ones via this and their own blogs. I have also had such a blast discovering for myself the many talented bloggers out there in cyberspace. But the best thing of all has been discovering a whole new community of blogging friends.

Many, many thanks to everyone who has taken time to read and/or comment on my blog over the last year. Happy Birthday, moonroot.blogspot.com/!

P.S. The photo is of an altar I set up to Brigid at Imbolc last year. The bowl contains many of Her symbols - a tiny anvil, some rowan berries, a herb knife, a candle etc - symbolising Her triple aspects as Goddess of smithcraft, healing and poetry.

16 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

well, Happy Birthday to you!
I am so glad I stumbled across your blog. .. you know, I can't remember how I did! But I am glad!!
You keep bees? I was just thinking today of finding out how to keep a hive in my back yard.. hmmm.. a sign perhaps?
happy birthday to you in Wales from me here in New South WALES !!..yes, I do believe my state was named after your country!

Anonymous said...

I love your Bridget bowl. Just beautiful.

Happy birthday to your blog!

Cottage Smallholder said...

Happy Birthday Moonroot!

I enjoy reading about your life enormously.

kathyann said...

Happy Birthday 1st of many!
Here's to good blogging friends!
Cheers!

Love from Kathyann and the girls

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

happy blogaversary and i love the Brigid bowl:)

laoi gaul~williams said...

Happy Birthday to a lovely blog!

i really love your alter...it sends out really good feelings :)

deborahoak said...

happy birthday! And thank you for participating in the poetry spell...I'm still following strands. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Love the brighid altar bowl you did. Happy Blog Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on surviving a year of public writing practice! And may you enjoy many more.

The Ginger Darlings said...

Happy birthday to you and may it be the very first of many more. It rains here too, well, not really rain today, the clouds are not bothering to break themselves into small droplets of water, instead they are hurling themselves down from the sky unbroken to smash like waves over the earth. We stay inside and sleep, Maurice over the fire, Martha and Pixie on the chair in the kitchen, Elmo under a bed and Max, well, somewhere, where ever a Max goes.
We would send you a mouse cake. Instead we send you good and sleepy wishes.
From Jackie and the Ginger babes

Reya Mellicker said...

The pic is gorgeaus and HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY!! I'm so very happy you decided to keep a blog. It is such an easy way to stay connected with people far away living in different time zones.

Bravo!! Looking forward to the coming year of blog posts, too, of course!

Leanne said...

congratulations moonroot!! happy blog-birthday!!

Leanne x

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are writing!
Happy Blog Birthday!!!!
I am glad that I found you.

Breezy said...

Happy blog birthday! Now you've got me thinking it must be nearly mine

willow said...

Happy blog birthday.
I've just tagged you for a meme.

Anonymous said...

Oooo Happy Birthday!!

It was lovely to have your comment on my new Blog thankyou! xx