Saturday 4 September 2021

Embracing Autumn: Read A New Book Month



I just discovered something wonderful about September - apparently it's officially Read A New Book Month, which gladdens my little bookworm heart no end! Not that I need much encouragement to dive into a new book in September, or at any other time of year for that matter. 

A couple of my recent favourite reads are 'A Spell In The Wild' by Alice Tarbuck, and 'Where The Crawdads Sing' by Delia Owens - both of which I wholeheartedly recommend. I also really enjoyed 'The Lilypad List' by Marian Van Eyck McCain which I picked up on a whim when I discovered it in a local telephone box which has been converted into a book swap library. These ingenious little libraries are popping up all over the place - hopefully there is one near you. If not, perhaps you could be the catalyst that gets such a local scheme going? Thanks to the Global Educational Trust, there are also free book shops in locations across the UK which quite literally give away free books in an attempt to keep them out of landfill and improve access to reading. And let's not forget our wonderful public libraries which still exist in many places as a means of access to books despite horrific cutbacks and closures imposed by Tory austerity. 

When buying books, please consider buying from a small independent bookshop whenever possible. Jeff Bezos really doesn't need any more of your hard earned cash - he'll only fritter it away on spaceships. You can find your nearest here, or shop online here

Embracing Autumn: Read A New Book

As well as curling up at home with your latest book, you can also make reading a more social activity by 
  • Joining (or starting?) a book club
  • Reading with your children
  • Swapping books with friends
  • Asking friends for book recommendations/sharing your recommendations with others
And if you find a new book that you absolutely love - please leave a comment on this post letting me know about it! I love getting book recommendations and hopefully other readers of Moonroot will find it helpful too. 




 

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Are there any months that aren't 'read a new book month'? ;) Happily there are three phone box libraries close to me.

During lockdown, my friends and I started an online book swap too - when we've finished a book we post it in the group chat and anyone can claim it (to keep or borrow as determined by the book's owner), to collect or have it sent to them in the post. It's been a great way of finding new books, with the benefit of recommendations from friends.

I'm currently reading Kissing the Hag by Emma Restall Orr, recently enjoyed Five Principles of Green Witchcraft by Asa West (it's only 24 pages long, a tiny little zine full of wisdom), and fictionwise I must recommend A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik!

Laura Morrigan said...

I am a big book addict! I am always glad to see free books being promoted to encourage others to join my addiction! Do you have a goodreads? I am always looking for people to follow!