Wednesday 1 April 2020

Living in Interesting Times


It has probably never been easier to understand why the saying 'May you live in interesting times' is considered a curse and not a blessing. The novel Coronavirus pandemic finds us - all of us - navigating completely uncharted waters. No wonder there is so much confusion and so many conflicting opinions and attitudes.

Life has taken on a surreal quality for many people, myself included. As one of the self-employed, my work has completely dried up. With the country going into lock-down I find myself at home in a serene little bubble. The coinciding spell of warm, dry sunny spring days has been wonderful, and I am loving the opportunity to get my hands into the soil and coax the neglected garden back into shape. I often complain that my usual work schedule gives me either enough money to pay my way or enough time to do the things I want, but not both. Suddenly I have ample time - and I'm trying not to fret about the money. I am lucky enough to have put some savings aside for a rainy day (and if the current situation doesn't count as a rainy day I don't know what does!). 

So the days pass in quiet and calm. I tend the animals, work in the garden, make soup, watch the sun set, listen to the blackbird singing in the cherry tree. And at intervals through the day sudden spikes of anxiety leave me breathless and afraid as news from the outside world bursts in - sickness, death, shortages, panic and uncertainty about this strange new world we now inhabit. I am terrified for my loved ones, furious with the hopelessly inadequate response of the Government, fearful of the long-term consequences of this turmoil.

How to stay afloat then, within this strange sea of serenity and anxiety?

For all of us, this is a work in progress. This is a completely unprecedented situation, which means a steep learning curve.

Here then is some of the useful advice I'm following, having pieced it together from various sources.  


  1. Keep to a routine of sorts - it's up to you what that is, but try to keep a regular sleep pattern and schedule in a balance of work (if you are working from home)/chores/relaxation/fun/contact with people (via phone, social media or whatever if you live alone). I've been setting the alarm to make sure I get up at a reasonable time (admittedly slightly later than when I'm working!) showering, dressing, eating breakfast, tending the animals, doing the chores, gardening, cooking proper meals, checking in with family and friends.
  2. Be kind to yourself. Now may seem like the perfect time to finally teach yourself to play the trombone or write your magnum opus - but don't beat yourself up if what you actually need to do is lie on the couch binge-watching your favourite show... 
  3. ...But at the same time find some balance between self-comfort and self-discipline!
  4. Keep informed, but use trustworthy mainstream news sources and limit your use of social media to avoid making yourself overly fearful. This is a useful fact-checking site specifically addressing some of the myths and rumours that are circulating about Covid-19: https://infotagion.com/?fbclid=IwAR2n4TjeCP1B0xGSUFokZCe9rOw6QKebxqwTZ2TuWluGdYHIAZjTJq-7y8s
  5. I found this article on grief and anticipatory grief very helpful: https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief?fbclid=IwAR2206owif6oEUiX3iGgRiWx4QR-d4kz_mcDinGRdys8zu_cvWB58aQq7v0
  6. This is a useful practice to help you cope with difficult feelings around the epidemic: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/chargedbythegoddess/2020/03/step-into-the-circle-and-be-held-restoring-connection-and-community/?fbclid=IwAR0IR6WsW0jyjLcredf-DOfbnTrWBz0zDUJxjBRUmbZqUjGPesyjcX9wyLc
  7. Find inventive ways to help you to feel connected to others. For example our local Moot was unable to meet as planned due to the restrictions, but we came up with a simple Coronavirus candle healing spell that we could all do at the same time, although we were unable to physically be together. Later we checked in on social media to share our experiences with each other.
What have you found to be helpful during these difficult times?

No comments: